Matt concentrates his practice on defending a wide range of businesses in catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death litigation. Matt also defends licensed professionals in professional liability matters before licensing boards and in malpractice lawsuits.
He enjoys building a relationship with his clients based on trust. Trust is only earned after learning the client’s goals, candidly discussing with the client strengths and weaknesses of a particular case, providing competent and effective counsel, and always being accessible and responsive — all while doing so in a cost-effective manner. And, this service must be consistent. Matt’s philosophy is that once a client’s trust is earned, and the client has unwavering confidence in the attorney, better outcomes are achieved and expectations are more likely to be met.
Additionally, Matt believes it is important to evaluate and budget a case early. This generally helps the client decide whether the case should be resolved early, postured for an eventual attempt at settlement, or zealously defended and ultimately tried. No matter the decision, Matt is experienced in all aspects of litigation — including trial and appeals — to serve his clients’ needs. Before Matt undertakes a task in a representation, or makes a recommendation to the client, Matt asks himself what he believes few attorneys do, but should: how will this task further the case toward achieving the client’s goal(s).
- Previously: Partner, Jaburg Wilk; Shareholder, Renaud Cook Drury Mesaros
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM): Retail, Restaurant & Hospitality Committee
- ALFA International Hospitality Law Practice Group, Steering Committee Member (Former)
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Arizona Insurance Claims Association
- Board Member, Litigation Section, Maricopa County Bar Association
- Co-Presenter, Case Law Update: Duties of a Premises Owner to Capture & Produce Surveillance Video, CLM Webinar, October 2017
- Co-Presenter, Wage and Hour Pitfalls and Solutions for Retail, Restaurant, and Hospitality Employers, CLM, February 2017
- Panelist, What You Need to Know: Prop. 206 and Arizona Businesses, Local First Arizona; December 2016
- Panelist, ADA Litigation and Insurance Coverage, 2016 CLM Arizona Chapter Event, December 2016
- Guest Speaker, ADA Litigation and Paid Sick Time Legislation, Arizona Retailers Association Annual Conference; November 2016
- Presentation to the Construction Law Section of the Arizona State Bar, Strategies for Defending ADA Accessibility Lawsuits: What Your Clients Should Know In Deciding Whether to Fight or Settle; May 2016
- Presentation at the annual Arizona Outdoor Hospitality Conference, Defending ADA Accessibility Lawsuits; April 2016
- Guest Lecturer, Medical Malpractice and Health Care Law, Arizona Summit Law School
- Pharmacy Medical Malpractice Panel, American Society for Pharmacy Law, November 2013
- Diversity Pipeline Program, State Bar of Arizona
- Active Volunteer, Arizona Humane Society
- Volunteer, Kids to Court – Court Works, United States District Court for the District of Arizona